30 Seconds To Better Business Website
A guide to for small businesses to help customers better use their website
By Cary Weston
When it comes to business, time is money. So your business website should be helping - not hurting - your cause.
I've been doing this a while and I can usually tell within 30 seconds if a site is losing a company money. If you can invest 30 seconds - you too can find out if your site is losing you money.
When it comes to your website, don't overlook the obvious. Most businesses that fail to use their website properly do so because they communicate using THEIR OWN UNDERSTANDING of what their business does.
The key is to communicate so that someone with NO UNDERSTANDING of what you do can easily make a quick decision as to whether what you do is for them.
Ready? Then open up your website and take the next 30 seconds to answer the following questions.
1. Can you tell in 10 seconds what your company does?
2. Do you have to read more than 10 words to know what you do?
3. Without making a click, can I see your phone number?
4. Is the title of your website a descriptive phrase of what makes you money?
5. If you're in a business with geographical restrictions (ex: service business) is your location and service area clearly stated?
If the answer to any of these is no - then go to work! The result will be a site that makes better use of your visitor's time and in return can help you make more money.
Yes these are simple but simple is very important when it comes to online communication.
- Cary Weston is a partner of Sutherland Weston Marketing Communications in Bangor, MaineConnect online:
Company's Web: www.sutherlandweston.com
Company's Twitter: www.twitter.com/SWMC_inc
Cary's Linked In: www.linkedin.com/in/carywestonYou can find him on Google+
[Marketing Memo]: Giving Thanks
[Marketing Memo] A Touch of Fancy