Micro-Business Marketing Coach Program
Customized work plan to help micro-business owners position the organization for future success
Who Is This Program Best Suited For?
The program is best suited for:
- Business owners with less than five people;
- Singular-staffed marketing department of a larger company;
- Non profits with a small staff or mainly volunteer-led operations
Often it’s not lack of desire or will that keeps marketing tasks from getting started, completed or being effective. It’s making time to do it right, with focus and in a way that will work best for the business goals.
Many micro business owners know that marketing is an important piece of business success. But they find themselves being the producer, the accountant, the HR director, the customer service rep, purchasing agent and janitor. They feel spread thin and need help not only knowing what to do – but what not to spend time or money on.
And most importantly – they want to have a plan that helps them det
Often we’ll hear that the business owner feels they’ve done as much as they can with the time, money and skills they have – but know they need to do more.
Our program is designed as part coaching, part consulting and part strategy to help give micro-business owners tools to help them immediately but a foundation of resources to help keep doing it on their own.
What Exactly Are We Going To Do?
We’re going to work together to help put your business in the best position to grow.
The program will cover five key areas of an effective marketing plan: Audience, Value, Messaging, Tools and Measurement.
- Your Audiences: These are the people you need to make revenue. While customers are always an audience, every business has more than one audience. We’ll explore who they are what they mean to your business.
- Your Value: What is it that makes your business special and meaningfully different? What problems do you solve? What value do you provide to your audiences? What do you do better than your competition?
- Your Messaging: How are you presenting your company, your story and your value to your customers and other audiences?
- Your Tools: What marketing and communications tools are you using and how are you using them? What tools do you have available that you can use better or not using at all? What makes the most sense for your business and your budget?
- Your Measurement: What are the goals of the business and how do you know if you’re heading in the right direction? What can we do to ensure there’s a plan to review, analyze and measure progress towards those goals.
The program starts with a strategy session we call the discovery. During discovery, we’ll learn more about your business, your goals and what you’re doing now. The discovery session typically lasts between 60-90 minutes. This can take place in person, via phone or over video conferencing.
We understand your goals may involve increasing sales, expansion of a business or growing ticket sales or financial support. Whatever the priority may be, the discovery process will help guide the next steps with focus.
From there, we’ll set up a series of weekly sessions that will focus on each of the five core topics listed above.
We’ll customize the program to best fit the areas that need more attention based on the outcome of discovery.
Each session will be approximately 45-60 minutes and follow a planned agenda. The agenda for each session will be a combination of reviewing homework, exploring at topic, answering questions and assigning the next round of homework.
We’ll also decide together what physical assets need to be developed and what changes should take place to existing tools as well as what you should be working on next.
“I’ve finished all edits to our website and put it live last night. Thanks for your help with this. So glad to have it finished!”
What Should I Have Before We Get Started?
The most important tool to have is the desire to learn and the commitment to work on your business. This program is not ‘done for you’ – it’s ‘done with you’.
That being said, preparation for the program should include:
- Website access – we’ll be making recommendations on how to best use your website in the program. Having the ability to reorganize content, modify the menu and add/edit pages will be important.
- Google Analytics – having access to your Google Analytics account will enable us to see trends and activity regarding the use of your website.
- Google Business – if you have a Google Business listing already set up, access to that will be important.
- Your current marketing materials – gathering up the materials you already use to promote your business will be helpful. This includes any print materials and digital materials you use. If you sell products, this will include any materials sent with the product.
Will This Program Include SEO (Search Engine Optimization)?
SEO is a term that is often used to mean “getting more people to come to my website”. While we know more traffic is important, we also want your website – and your business – to be ready to make the most of any traffic you earn.
During the program, we’ll evaluate your website in terms of how it applies to Google’s best practices and help correct any errors or add components that may be missing. We’ll provide recommendations on how to modify the site, if necessary, to ensure you are in the best position to be respected by Google.
With Google’s advanced algorithms, having valuable, relevant and focused content is the best way to increase a website’s chances of ranking better in search engine results. Our program is designed to help you do just that.
Our program will all utilize the essence of our Ten Rules of Marketing to help you not only attract more traffic to your website but get more connections and sales opportunities from that traffic.
We had tremendous responses and easily have over $100,000 of interest. Everyone loved the website, and we got a good number of leads through the lead magnet.
Does The Program Include Any Creative Services?
Yes. We our team at Sutherland Weston includes graphic designers, web programmers, video production folks as well as public relations and strategists. The program budget provides a bank of five hours to be used for creative purposes. How those hours get used will be decided during the discovery process. We’ll decide together where to use those hours to best serve your business and your business goals.
Can You Give Me An Idea Of How The Creative Services Budget Can Be Used?
Examples in which the bank of creative hours in the program has been used include:
- Social media graphics
- Product photography
- Email marketing template
- Product hang tag
- Company video
- Digital display ads
- Rack card
- Press conference
Can More Than Five Hours Of Creative Services Be Used?
Of course. Our creative team is ready to help in a variety of ways should you want to do more. Our billable rate for creative services is $150/hour. Any projects requested will be quoted with an estimate for approval prior to initiating. This work is billed separately from the program fee.
What Will I Have When We’re Done Working Together?
While you’ll see progress along the way, you’ll also have some specifics in hand when we’re done with the program. Specifically, you’ll be delivered:
- Marketing Overview Guide – Including the analysis and outcomes from the five key areas outlined above.
- Social Media Playbook – Recommendations specifically designed to help you use social media tools effectively
- Your Creative Services Product – The finished product from the use of the creative services budget
Specifically, the messaging, analysis and recommendations will help you make your website, printed materials and video assets more effective as well as aid in email marketing and social media efforts.
We selected Sutherland Weston Marketing Communications for a branding and website development project that turned out to be much more …The process seemed effortless.
Does The Program Include Advertising Of Any Kind?
The program fee does not include external advertising. However, the work we’ll do together will enable you to better understand how to use paid advertising better for your business.
What Will My Homework Be?
Each session’s homework will be relevant to the priorities that come from discovery. Homework will essentially focus on the knowledge, experience and expertise you already have as a professional in your field.
We’ll focus on topics related to ideal customers, customer service trends, common questions, strengths, weaknesses, etc. Our goal with the homework is to reverse engineer your everyday experiences into an effective marketing foundation.
Together we’ll work on getting you tools that will help you get more of what makes you money and less of what does not.
Will We Meet In Person?
We absolutely can if if works for you. The purpose of the coaching program is to streamline effectiveness and make the most of each session. If you are geographically close to our office, we’d be happy to set up sessions in person. Otherwise phone and video calls are used.
What If I Need More Than A Week Between Sessions?
We know that business – and life – often gets in the way of best laid plans. If you need more time between sessions, that’s no problem. We’ll be flexible. But it is important we are consistent with the work to ensure you’re getting the most from the program.
I have reviewed the report and was very pleased with the work. Soooooo much to do.
How Much Does The Core Program Cost?
The program fee for most micro businesses is $5,000.
This can be billed up to five monthly installments to help with cash flow. Any additional creative service project requested beyond the core program will be billed separately as incurred.
Should your needs or requests fall outside of the normal program curriculum, we will discuss the program fee before engaging to ensure we all have the same expectations.